Reference information on beekeeping topics
Bee Journals & Organisations
- The Apiary Calendar - what to do each month.
- Why and how to keep hive records.
- All about Queen Rearing.
- Looking after your bees - Bee Health.
- Dave Cushman's encyclopedic web site - possibly the most information about bees available in one spot.
- Beespoke.info - an Irish site with a huge amount of useful information.
- Risk assessment: here's a template to help, and here are a couple of examples.
- Standard operating procedures:
- Federation of Irish Beekeepers Associations (FIBKA)
- Native Irish Honey Bee Society (NIHBS)
- The County Dublin Beekeepers Association
- Armagh and Monaghan Beekeepers' Association
- Ulster Beekeepers Association
- The British Beekeepers Association
- Welsh Beekeepers Association
- Scottish Beekeepers Association
Bee Journals & Organisations
- Galtee Bee Breeding Group
- Bee Improvement and Bee Breeders Association (BIBBA)
- Bees for Development
- Bees Abroad
- International Journal of Environmental Science and Technology (IJEST)
- International Bee Research Association (IBRA)
- The Beekeepers Quarterly
- Ireland: Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine - Beekeeping and Honey
- Heath Products Regulatory Authority (HPRA) - approved treatments
- UK: National Bee Unit - BeeBase
- Irish Bee Supplies (local supplier based near Ardee, Co. Louth - Map)
- Bee Supplies (Dublin)
- Dingle Beekeeping Supplies (Kerry)
- MacEoin Honey (Cork)
- Donegal Bees (Donegal)
- Mill Lane Beekeeping (Leitrim)
- Thornes (UK)
- Biodiversity Ireland - register your sightings of wildlife here
- All-Ireland Pollinator Plan - for gardens, schools, churches, farms, business, councils, rail & motorways, communities
- Ava's Flowers
- Flower Fragrances That Attract Bees and Butterflies to Your Garden
- Bees and Honey: Creating Pollinator Gardens - Good general advice for helping pollinators, although please don't put out sugar water!
- How Gardeners Can Help Prevent the Bee Apocalypse - More general gardening advice
- UK-based Beekeeping forum
- All About Bees - Collection of Melittology Resources
- Beekeeping facts for kids
- More kids information: All About Bees by HalloweenCostumes.com
- FIBKA - the Federation of Irish Beekeepers' Associations
- BIBBA - Bee Improvement and Bee Breeders Association BIBBA
- The Norfolk Honey Company - a great UK source of information
- Gwenyn Gruffydd - a beekeeper from Wales
- Black Mountain Honey - another Welsh beekeeper
- Keith Pierce - a Dublin beekeeper
- The Internet Archive - search for any bee-related topic and you can find all sorts of information. For example, click on "text" to limit the search to books & search for Bees. You can also search for magazines, e.g. the American Bee Journal.
- Project Gutenberg, the website that publishes books that are out of copyright, have a huge selection of eBooks available in all the common formats. Below is a list of those I found when I searched for bee-related books, and I'm sure there are others. Note that these are the English books - there are also many in French, German, Dutch, etc.
- A Description of the Bar-and-Frame-Hive by William Augustus Munn
- A Manual or an Easy Method of Managing Bees by John M. Weeks
- A Profitable Instruction of the Perfite Ordering of Bees by Thomas Hill
- Apis Mellifica; or, The Poison of the Honey-Bee, Considered as a Therapeutic Agent by C. W. Wolf
- Bee Hunting: A Book of Valuable Information for Bee Hunters by John Ready Lockard
- Bee Keeping by Frank Benton
- Bees by Everett Franklin Phillips
- Bramble-Bees and Others by Jean-Henri Fabre
- British Bees by William Edward Shuckard
- Humanity to Honey-Bees by Thomas Nutt
- Improved Queen-Rearing; or, How to Rear Large, Prolific, Long-Lived Queen Bees by Henry Alley
- The Life of the Bee by Maurice Maeterlinck
- Langstroth on the Hive and the Honey-Bee: A Bee Keeper's Manual by L. L. Langstroth
- Mysteries of Bee-keeping Explained by M. Quinby
- New observations on the natural history of bees by François Huber
- Nuova; or, The New Bee (fictional account of a bee) by Vernon L. Kellogg
- Soft Candy for Bees by Burton N. Gates
- The Bee-keeper's Manual by Henry Taylor
- The Children's Life of the Bee by Maurice Maeterlinck
- The Mason-Bees by Jean-Henri Fabre
- The Preparation of Bees for Outdoor Wintering by Everett Franklin Phillips and Geo. S. Demuth
- Wild Bees, Wasps and Ants and Other Stinging Insects by Edward Saunders
- Wintering Bees in Cellars by Everett Franklin Phillips and Geo. S. Demuth
- The Anatomy of the Honey Bee (PDF) by R.E. Snodgrass - this is apparently out of copyright so it can be downloaded from the USDA
- Bee-Craft articles, digital library, and beginners series by month